type3kcad

This blog was established for the Typography 3 students of Kendall College of Art + Design.

Thursday, March 29, 2007

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

I found this on David Carson's website
I thought it was amazing and needed to be shared with you all, especially after my comments about dyslexia earlier in the blog.
I noticed that all of these words are readable, probably because the first and last letter of each word are where they should be. What do you think?

5 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Christina Fredricks said...

Yeah! This is what I was trying to talk about it a comment a few entries back. I wonder if anyone has ever created an ad using this idea. It's interesting to learn how our mind works. I also wonder who started those endless forwarded emails I used to get about this.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger KrisJuhl said...

This is an interesting concept I had never heard of. However, you are right I could read the entire posting without any trouble. The only question that I have is that would this remain true for people who are older and take more time to process the word than twenty-somethings? It is a stretch of the imagination to why we can process these sorts of things but I can't argue with a fact.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Steven said...

I am so glad you posted this. Just last night I was typing filler text, I was bored, and I wanted to see how fast I could type legibly... I miss spelled pretty much verything, but I could still read it because, for the most part, the first and last letters were in the same place. Fun stuff.

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger conranc said...

This is pretty cool stuff and I think it has a lot of implications for experimental typography. This example has implies that, as typographic communicators, we can really push the envelope and still have our message be delivered clearly. A message delivered through this type of word recognition may even have more impact. It would be interesting to know how much further you could go with this, adding in lower and upper case, different point sizes or whatever. I wonder how would the wpm decreases at each stage? Is it possible to jumble the words up to the extent that comprehension fails or is it the shape of the words or brain recognizes?

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger iamascarydinosaur said...

i've seen this before, its pretty intersting stuff. can u read this? al;jdsfalsdfjads;f
a;jfjlaidhn
ahdf.

lol.

Seriously though, the power of the human mind is pretty phenominal. I just wish i could lift things with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home