type3kcad

This blog was established for the Typography 3 students of Kendall College of Art + Design.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sans Seriff comeback?

My mom is so sick of hearing about serifs vs. sans serifs (I told her now that I'm in this industry it's important for her to know the difference). I'm constantly shoving menus in her face and pointing out signs and going on and on about the type. I know that sans serifs are very legible and have their place in signs and advertising, but seriously, what ever happened to the serif?! After seeing sans everywhere all the time, they are swiftly losing their beauty. I think it's time the serif made a comeback. Opinions?

8 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Mari said...

Oops, I meant to title that "serif comeback?" Shame on me.. I don't see how to change it either.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger ajaxouch said...

Isn't serif type MORE legible than sans?

I'd love to see some new serif typfaces something fresh that doesn't have such an old feel but would still stand against the test of time.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger jalger said...

Interesting point, Mari. I know in my design, I try to work with serifs, but they do seem to "date" the piece. Certainly worth investigating this semester.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

i think people just want everything to look "new" and "clean" and "modern" etc. even if whatever the font is pertaining to isn't. that's the trend now i suppose.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger just steve said...

Maybe someone could create a type face that has a serif and sans family members. One good type face designed to work with or without serifs would be awesome. A partial serif serif alphabet would be cool as well.

 
At 11:39 AM, Blogger Mari said...

shh, that's my next project!

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger ajaxouch said...

sans serif/serif...
hmmm that DOES sound cool

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger jalger said...

Good idea, Steve, and sorry, Mari...

"When ITC Officina was first released in 1990, as a paired family of serif and sans serif faces in two weights with italics, it was intended as a workhorse typeface for business correspondence. But the typeface proved popular in many more areas than correspondence. Erik Spiekermann, Officina's designer and the founder of MetaDesign in Berlin, says, “Once Officina got picked up by the trendsetters to denote 'coolness', it had lost its innocence. No pretending anymore that it only needed two weights for office correspondence. As a face used in magazines and advertising, it needed proper headline weights and one more weight in between the original Book and Bold.”

It's hard to keep up with German designers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home